Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Word of the Week Wednesday!

Okay, so Wednesday is here! Time for our first Word of the Week Wednesday...

Bombastic!

Anyone know what it means? I sure as heck didn't. My husband brought it to my attention from a conversation he had a work.

Dictionary.com:

–adjective
high-sounding; high-flown; inflated; pretentious.

So there you go!

I write YA, and while this word might not be something teens would know, it totally sounds YA to me. I mean, come on, it has the word bomb in it. As in da bomb. Okay, okay NO ONE says that anymore, but maybe bombastic could be the next da bomb? Well, maybe not. But maybe it could be a word one of my really smart characters might use.

What about you guys? Do you ever use words like this for certain characters? Or any words you've recently learned that you thought were interesting?

Please share!


4 comments:

  1. I'll ask my husband if he knows the meaning of a word and rather than saying yes/no he's like "Give me a second, I'll look it up on my phone."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Such a helper, it sounds like! YAY for helpful husbands. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to meet you and your blog, Melinda! Hmm, I may have heard of bombastic, but I couldn't have given you a definition for it. ;o) I like to make up slang and other expressions in my books! It's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may also find success in negotiating lower payment arrangements yourself, just be sure any debt modifications you agree to are written and that you have a copy.
    play bazaar

    play bazaar

    play bazaar

    play bazaar

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...